Friday, February 6, 2009

2009 Flu Bug


So I am off of work another day and at this point I am getting stir crazy. Good news my fever and aches are gone and the laundry is almost finished. YAY! I really wanted to go to work, but I am still contagious until tomorrow and my throat and cough are killer. The flu honestly hasn't been as bad as I remembered it was 9 years ago. The doctor said this year's strand is a light one. My entire life I have been very afraid of needles. The last time I had the flu was in 2000 and that is a day my father will NEVER forget. It is a funny story now, but at the time he was not happy with me. I was very sick and they thought it could be mono so they wanted to take my blood. BIG MISTAKE: it only took like 4 nurses, 1 doctor, and my dad to hold me down. ;o) haha! I remember seeing this little girl sitting there calmly as I was totally freaking out. This phobia all started when I had to get my 5 year old booster shots. It was a traumatic experience. My mom and dad tell me every year to go get the flu shot, but I rarely listen. One year my mom tricked me and when I went to see her at work there was a nurse waiting with the shot. I do get shots now without freaking out, but drawing my blood scares me to death. I have avoided it since that terrible day in 2000. Let me know your opinions of the flu shot! Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I feel that older adults should for sure because it can be much more life threatening for them. Have a great weekend!! It is going to beautiful here in the great state of TN!

3 comments:

Renee and Brandon said...

girl I was just like that with needles but after being pregnant and getting staff infection, I think I could draw blood or give my own self a shot. The first time they took my blood for my pregnancy I passed out and cried- 25 years old!! Just get pregnant and you will get used to those needles :)!!!

Mariellen said...

oh lord Renee!!!

Amanda Maxwell said...

Mariellen I feel ya on needles. I hate them..But my son has helped me to overcome it. When he has checkups a Vanderbilt they normally draw 8 tubes full..And yes I said 8. I look at him going through all the blood work and tests he goes through and think if he can go through it then I can suck it up too..lol..We always have to do the flu shots..For Bryce especially its mandatory for him to get one..