Friday, August 30, 2013

Sawyer's Birth story

Can't believe I am getting to post this! I imagined doing this during my pregnancy and always realized it could go either way. Since my first was born in 2011 I had always hoped I could deliver vaginally one day. On August 20 the blue moon worked in my favor and God watched over us to have as the doctor called it "textbook" perfect vbac. I did my research and felt risks were equal for me to have a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean) or repeat csection. I was an ideal candidate and knew my body went into labor all on its own with my first which was a requirement from my OBGyN. I had a c section date I was fine with and thought if its meant to be then he will come before that date. I work in the medical field and understand business and science reasons that are for and against vbacs.

Tuesday August 20 I got up to get ready for work and thought my water broke.  I had an appointment that morning and waited until then to do anything about it.  I thought I was having a tad bit stronger contractions, but honestly this pregnancy I quit keeping track because I had so many those last few weeks.  I knew from going into labor with Mac what else to look for when it really became time.  Before this appointment I was 2 cm and 80% effaced.  When I checked in for my appointment I told them I thought my water broke, so we were immediately sent to labor and delivery observation.

Here is a side not before I go further.  Mac was born on a super moon and when I found out that it was a blue moon Tuesday I packed up everything Monday night.  I told Mike he is coming tomorrow with the full moon.  Guess what he did!!!  We have werewolf boys ;o).

Mike and I get to the observation room and find out it was not my water, but I was contracting every 4-6 minutes and my doctor wanted me to wait an hour to see if they continued.  I was checked and I was 3 cm 80% effaced.  She had told me that I would be watched very closely since I was a vbac which was okay with me.  The hour passed no change, but contractions continued and some were every two minutes.  They gave me tons of water and we waited another hour.  At this point contractions were every 2-3 minutes and my water bag was bulging, so we were admitted to have this baby.

Sawyer was tolerating labor beautifully which Mac did not do at this point.  We alert family and friends and walk upstairs to my room.  After this the next couple of hours consisted of getting my epidural once the contractions became to painful and hanging out with Mike and our wonderful nurses.  Texas Women's Hospital has 1:1 nurse to patient ratio which is fabulous.  Since I was a vbac patient my nurse stayed in my room the entire time.  I was concerned about getting the epidural to soon because things I had read suggested that it might slow down labor.  My nurse said that is actually a myth, so I went ahead and got it at a 5.  I have no idea how women do it without.  It's so wonderful!!! 

The nurses and my doctor could not believe how my body produced contractions so well on it's on which they did with Mac too.  At this point I was really getting excited that my vbac might really happen.  I progressed pretty quickly and by 8:45 pm I was at a 10 and it was time to practice pushing.  I was warned since I did not push with Mac it could take 1-2 hours.  After my practice pushes he was ready to come.  Mike and I were glowing and so excited.  My doctor who was not on call and is that loyal to her patients stayed to deliver myself and 2 other patients.  She came in and said everything looked great, but I needed to wait one hour while she did an emergency c section on  one of the other patients.  We were bummed, but totally understood.  She came back and 3 pushes he was out!!  It was a wayyyy better delivery experience.  I did not even cry I was just glowing from excitement and thanking God for taking care of us!!!  I even looked at Mike and said "I DID IT!"  My doctor was just as happy for me.  Her words "you rocked that and made it look easy!"

I know it's not always and option for everyone to deliver vaginally.  I am thankful we have options when they are needed.  The initial recovery for both stinks, but I bounced back a lot faster this time.  It was not even a week later and I went out to eat for my 30th.  I would highly recommend giving a vbac a try if you are a CANIDIATE for one.  Do your own research and get a good doctor. 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

The Davis Family said...

If we have a #2, I'm going to want to talk to you more about this...it is something I want to consider. Congrats again on another beautiful boy!

The Davis Family said...

If we have a #2, I'm going to want to talk with you more about this...it is something I want to consider. Congrats again on another beautiful, healthy boy!