It all began Friday afternoon about 3:00pm I began to notice Braxton Hicks which were nothing new at this point. Mike arrived home after five and it dawned on me that they had not slowed down. We kept timing them throughout the evening. (sorry sort of graphic) Later the "bloody show" had begun and the phone calls were made to family because we were pretty positive this was the real deal. I was puzzled though because it wasn't painful uncomfortable yes, but not painful. Mike and I went and got BBQ sandwiches and sat underneath the most beautiful moon and timed contractions. We were both so excited because we felt pretty confident our son would be here on Saturday.
The contractions kept coming and were beginning to be uncomfortable at 12:30am I called the doctor because the contractions were five minutes apart for an hour. When I called I found out that my doctor was on call all weekend!!! YAY!!! I let her know about my contractions and that I did not think they were as painful as they should be. She let me know since we live literally five minutes from the hospital that I could come in and get checked and if I was not to far dilated I could go back home. I wanted to make sure he was doing okay and that I had not dilated to far to where I would wake up and it would be to late for the epidural. ;o) Mike and I decided to go in and be evaluated.
I am going to go back alittle bit because now that I have been through real labor this makes me laugh. Before we went to the hospital I took a shower and did my hair and makeup and dressed cute. I know the nurses probably laughed after I went into my room because clearly I was not inreal deal labor yet.
We get to the hospital and check into our room. My wonderful Dr. McClendon came in to check me and I was dilated to a 3 and 75% effaced. Mac was doing good, so we packed up and returned home. At 4:30am I woke up to painful contractions!!! I took a bath and Mike distracted me until about 9:00am. I knew this was real labor because I did not care about my outfit, hair, or makeup. I sat on the couch waiting for a contraction to end and then I was going to make a mad dash to the car. Our ancient old home has locks like Fort Knox. I jump up to go to the car and Mike was not far behind me and all he could here was click click click of the STUPID LOCKS!!! (I am not one to ever use bad language) Mike hears me yell "I can't get the damn door OPEN!!" He was trying not to laugh and came to my rescue. So much for trying to get to the car fast. I cried telling our dogs goodbye and we headed to the hospital. This time around I am practically laying on the counter checking in. One question they asked was "Have I ever abused drugs?" I told them not until today and I needed the epidural stat!!! We get into our labor and delivery room and the nurse informs me that she is going to check to see if I could stay... "what surely to goodness I can stay with this much pain." Good news I was dilated to 4 and 80% effaced and my doctor was admitting me.
Now it was time to be brave and face my fears! Fear number one the IV which did hurt way worse than the epidural. Mike had claw marks when they stuck that sucker in my hand. Mike was so amazing through all of this. He helped me focus on my breathing and remained so calm and positive which is exactly what I needed. Fear number two the epidural which was a breeze. I hope no one takes offense to this, but I was fully prepared to tell a nurse anesthetist to go and get an anesthesiologist. With the fear I have of needles I felt much more comfortable with an MD doing it. They had my epidural ready to go in less than 45 minutes after checking in ;o)!! The anesthesiologist came in and was a very cool guy. At this point my contractions were less than two minutes apart and some were on top of each other. I told him you have two minutes when I say go. He was such a pro and all I felt was a bee sting from the initial numbing shot. After that was done it was WONDERFUL!!!! Mike and I were hanging out and just so excited about meeting our little man. Mike went out to lunch with his dad and his mom stayed with me. My mom's flight was supposed to get in around 5:00pm. Around 1:00 pm my water was broke (strange feeling) and I was at a 6 and 86% effaced! I was so excited that labor was going as I had hoped, well that changed soon. Once my water broke mega contractions started. I even had to juice up my epidural. Dr (Dr. M) came back in shortly after my last check and informed us that baby Mac's heart rate was dropping after each contraction and then going back up. She wanted me to try different positions and oxygen to see if it would help the little guy out. She said they were closely monitoring it and I knew in my gut how this probably going to turn out. Mike had her show him exactly what the problem was on the monitor. This made me very proud of my non medical husband. Well, not even 30 minutes later the doctor came back in and said it had become a consistent pattern. She did not feel good about it and thought it may have been related to his two vessel cord. She checked to see if the cord was around his neck and that was not the issue. She told me there was no way to know if I would quickly progress to a 10 or not. If I had been at a 9 she would give me an opportunity, but with the risk of labor lasting a couple more hours she was not sure if he could take it. Mike and I had already decided when she had left the first time that we would go ahead and do the c section if his heart rate continued to drop. My biggest fear of pushing time was losing his heart rate and having to rush to an emergency c section. With all that said at 2:35pm we all made a collaborative decision to go ahead with the c section.
| My Rock |
The team was so organized with the process Mike had his scrubs on and they were rolling me down to the OR in less than 10 minutes. I did not even have time to call my family. I think I sent some quick texts. On the way to the OR I said "oh lord I am about to be a parent in a few minutes." Once in the OR the nurse anethesis (NA) came in and began juicing up my epidural and numbed me from my shoulders down. She was great and began talking to me to distract me from the strange feeling room. The doctors began testing my sensation and I could feel them. I told them "PLEASE do not let me feel you cut my body open!!" Mike was brought in to be by my side and the incision was made. A c-section with an epidural is so strange. I could feel them moving organs around, but could not feel sharp pain. The NA talked me through each step, so I knew what was going on. Suddenly Dr. M said you are going to feel lots of pressure and boy did I. It felt like tons of people were pressing on my chest. They announced there is his head and waterworks started for Mike and I.
We looked at each other going on my gosh this is it and then the Dr. M said it's definitely a boy and the most beautiful cries began. Malcolm was brought into this world at 3:11pm. Dad was not sure what to do because he did not want to leave my side, but was dying to see his son. I had to tell him I was okay and he was up and taking about 100 pictures. Once they were through checking Mac and giving him his awesome scores of 9/9. He was swaddled up and given to his daddy which is when Mac immediately stopped crying. All I could see was his head full of curly hair and at that point I actually thought it was strawberry blonde. LOL
Mac you have already made your daddy and I better people. We are madly in love with you! When you came into the world is was such a life changing indescribable moment. It was like the moment we heard you cry and were waiting to see that precious face I couldn't breathe.
Welcome to our crazy spontaneous world!!
24 hours old
XOXO,
Mom and Dad



4 comments:
Ok now I'm in TEARS reading this! It gets me soo excited for what I will get to experience in Nov. That is so wonderful that everything worked out and Mac is healthy. Great decision with the c-section. Because I had to be put to sleep I didn't get to experience the first cry and I loved your pics. So happy for you girl!!
Oh I'm in tears reading this! I'm so happy for ya'll and now I can't wait until Nov. I'm so thankful you made the decision to have the c-section, you definitely did not want to have an emergency c section and be put to sleep. Hearing you talk about his first cry gets me so excited. I'm so happy for you and that healthy boy!!
this is awesome girl!! and he is a gorgeous baby!! lauren
Awww! Great story.
Yup, I remember those on-top-of-each-other contractions....
Welcome to the World, Mac!
J~
Post a Comment